Sunday, July 8, 2012

What I'm Up To Otherwise: Getting Better

Finishing up some half-finished work uncovered while I have been rearranging my studio space. It feels good.

Detail, rubbing on silk

This piece is a rubbing on silk that I made while teaching at Hacienda Mosaico in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico several years ago. The owner, Sam Leonard, had a beautiful stone sculpture amongst her plants at an intersection of paths in the garden. I made the rubbing from that sculpture, laying the silk in place, and using oil pastels for the rubbing.

Here I have just started to paint the silk with Jacquard paint.
The oil pastels provided a natural "resist" edge to keep
the very fluid paint from spreading into other areas.
 To start painting, I stretched the silk rubbing with pins onto a large piece of foam core. I'm not quite finished with the painting, but almost. I plan to add some more layers of color in the center, right on top of the Sun's face. Here is what I have so far:


After the rest of the painting is finished, I will heat set it with an iron to be safe. Then, I guess I'll have to decide what to make out of this pretty piece of silk. Any suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment